- The Honorable James Carroll, City of Isle of Palms
- The Honorable Miriam C. Green, Town of Awendaw
- The Honorable William Haynie, Town of Mount Pleasant
- The Honorable Rutledge B. Leland, III, Town of McClellanville
- The Honorable Patrick O’Neil, Town of Sullivan’s Island
- Chairman J. Elliott Summey, Charleston County Council
- The Honorable John Tecklenburg, City of Charleston
Although 10% of the landscape in Mount Pleasant is protected or in public ownership, the integrity of our landscape is far from secure. As the urban area grows, the rural areas become more threatened. We can’t – and shouldn’t – protect everything. It is paramount that future efforts are sharply focused on the most critical and vulnerable resources to ensure our efforts have the most positive impact.
In 2015, we created the Mayors Council on Land Conservation in East Cooper which includes all mayors within our geographic focus area and the Charleston County Council chair. This alliance resulted in a signed Memorandum of Agreement in which each municipality agrees to consider open space planning and natural corridors in their comprehensive planning process as well as cooperate with each other and the local land trusts. The Mayors Council meets annually with staff from ECLT and each municipality’s Planning Department.
See Photos from 2018 Meeting