This .57-acre property was donated to East Cooper Land Trust by the Town of Mount Pleasant in 2017. In 2018, ownership was transferred to the East Cooper Civic Club. It is now permanently conserved and will be a passive park and honorarium to John Scanlon.
The property, located at the intersection of 5th Avenue and Mathis Ferry Road in Mount Pleasant, is the entrance to the Scanlonville community. Scanlonville was founded by John Scanlon, a freedman, in 1868. He purchased the 614 acres of former Remley Plantation and created a planned community with two-acre lots.
Nearby properties, including the once-popular Riverside Beach, have been developed in a way that caused the price of the land to rise from the several thousand dollars Scanlon once paid for the entire Plantation to half a million dollars each for many of the individual lots. This property may be only .57 acres, but in an area of town that has felt the effects of encroaching development, land carries a value beyond its size.