Oakland Plantation is a beautiful property off Porchers Bluff Road between Highway 17N and Rifle Range Road that has been owned by the Gregorie family for more than a century. The plantation house, which may date to 1730s, is thought to be the oldest home site in Mount Pleasant. The plantation was originally called Youghall, but was changed in 1850 to Oakland under the ownership of the Barksdale family because of the majestic cathedral type of oak avenue leading to the house.
Within the plantation is a 133-acre parcel that has been permanently protected via a conservation easement held by East Cooper Land Trust. The easement contains a pine and mixed hardwoods forest, forested wetlands, maritime forest, brackish marsh, salt flat, as well as shrubby and herbaceous woodland borders. A 1.5-mile nature trail crosses the property and is an amenity of the KOA campground. It is not open to the general public, but can be available for local school groups and other organizations with pre-approval. Any interested group should contact the KOA office at 843-849-5177 to schedule a visit. Oakland Plantation is also the site of our annual RACE & ROAST fundraiser.